The subject of Anatomy lays firm foundation for all medical sciences. It is only when one knows the structure of the body, does its function get a rationale, followed by explanation of malfunction and its management. As a practising doctor one has to remember the anatomy that he/she has learnt for doing any clinical procedure or therapeutic intervention. Hence, relegating anatomy as a preclinical science is a gross injustice. Anatomy is a vibrant subject, revisited often by the present-day clinicians to hone their skills with newer therapeutic modalities. The department of Anatomy at Seth GS Medical College has kept up with the changing times and has met the challenges head-on by providing facilities like fresh cadaver dissection and practice of various scopies and microsurgeries. The horizons of the discipline have widened, making more and more intellectuals join and take up anatomy as a career which provides both academic excellence and job satisfaction.
Sections Units Branches
Facilities, Equipments & Special services
Donation of body for teaching and research
The department undertakes the training of first year MBBS students in Anatomy and its various sub-divisions and allied fields.
It also undertakes responsibility for training, in Human Anatomy of the students taking the FYBPTh & FYBOTh courses of the Institute of Occupational Therapy & Physiotherapy, which are allied to the Seth GS Medical College.
It also trains students of the Institute of Nursing.
The Department offers a post-graduate course in Human Anatomy leading to the degree of M.D. (Anatomy) of the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik.
The Academic Calendar (Archive)
The academic course for MBBS students is divided into two terms viz. Term I & Term II.
The courses of instruction covered in the two terms are as follows:
Upper limbs & Lower limbs
- Gross Anatomy, Surface Living Anatomy, Radiological Anatomy & Cross sectional Anatomy of Upper limbs & Lower Limbs
- Cytology and General Microanatomy
- General Anatomy
- General Embryology
- Genetics – Cytogenetics
- Clinical anatomy of Upper Limbs and Lower Limbs
- Gross Anatomy, Surface Living Anatomy, Radiological Anatomy & Cross sectional Anatomy of Thorax
- Systemic Microanatomy – Respiratory
- Clinical Anatomy of Thorax
- Gross Anatomy, Surface Living Anatomy, Radiological Anatomy & Cross sectional Anatomy of Abdomen
- Systemic Microanatomy – Alimentary, Urogenital systems, Placenta & Umbilical cord
- Systemic Embryology – Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Alimentary, Urogenital systems
- Genetics – Molecular genetics & Modes of inheritance
- Clinical Anatomy of Abdomen
The Head, Neck & Brain
- Gross Anatomy, Surface Living Anatomy, Radiological Anatomy & Cross sectional Anatomyof Head and Neck
- Systemic Microanatomy – Nervous system, Special senses, Endocrine glands Neuroanatomy
- Systemic Embryology – Face & Pharyngeal arches, Nervous system, Integumentary, Musculoskeletal and Endocrine systems
- Genetics – Prenatal Diagnosis & Genetic Counselling Clinical Anatomy of Head, Neck and Brain
Course work is conducted on alternate days of the week, from Monday through Saturday. Dissection, diligently performed is still the mainstay of the learning process in Gross Anatomy, and it is done best as a small group activity with the full participation & co-operation of all members. The group generally consists of three students who are assigned a part of a cadaver for dissection. Students are registered randomly with the department office where roll numbers are assigned to them serially. For the purpose of demonstrations, students are divided into small batches and assigned one teacher, who supervises dissections, interacts with students as required and also participates in grading their performance at the end of the dissection sessions for the particular part. Usually, all students are exposed to all the teachers during the entire course.
The advent of newer surgical techniques like “Minimally Invasive Surgery”/”Laparoscopic surgery”, “Microsurgery” etc has seen a resurgence of interest in Anatomy for the clinicians who want to have a ‘relook’ at the anatomy of the part of the body they operate on. This has resulted in an enormous amount of collaboration between the department of Anatomy and various clinical departments like ENT, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology
and Plastic Surgery.
|Sr.No.||Name of the Workshop||Department Collaborated with|
|1||Cochlear Implant Workshop||Department of ENT- Hinduja Hospital|
|2||Flap dissection workshop||Department of Plastic Surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel|
|3||Spine surgery workshop||Dept. of Orthopedics, KEM Hospital|
|4||Arthroscopic workshop||Dept. of Orthopedics, , KEMH & Bombay Orthopedic Society|
|5||Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery-FESS||Department of ENT- Hinduja Hospital|
|6||Phonosurgery workshop||Department of ENT- Bombay Hospital|
|7||Arthroscopic workshop||Dept. of Orthopedics, , KEMH & Bombay Orthopedic Society|
|8||Spine surgery workshop||Dept. of Orthopedics, Hinduja Hospital|
|9||Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopic workshop||Dept. of Orthopedics, KEMH|
|10||Head & Neck workshop||Dept. of ENT-KEMH|
Collaboration of this kind not only helps the clinicians to build up on their knowledge of Anatomy and thereby minimize surgical errors but they also help the anatomists to have a broader perspective of their subject and teach relevant clinical anatomy to the students.
Completed research projects
List of Completed Projects – Anatomy
List of Ongoing Faculty Projects – Anatomy
- Papers Presented at Conferences Workshops
- Publications of the Department – 2006 onwards
- Educational Resources on the Web
- List of Postgraduate Students Passed Out From
the Department in the Past Ten Years
Contents of the Handbook
Examinations at a glance
Head Face Neck Dissection Goals
Excerpts from the Handbook
- History of Anatomy in India
- A Chronicle of The Department of Anatomy
- Anatomy – Cinderella in the Medical Curriculum?
- The Soul in Anatomy
- Relevance of Anatomy to Medicine
- The Ever-Changing Face of Anatomy
- The Joy of Studying Anatomy
- How to Study Anatomy
- Musings of a Fellow Gosumec
- Cadaver – The Great Teacher
- Audio-Visual Gross Anatomy Dissection Module
- How to Approach Multiple Choice Questions
Second Floor, College Building