Department of Neurology
The Department of Neurology was established in 1956 by Dr. E. P. Bharucha and Dr. V. P. Mondkar and has flourished over the years to the present status,rendering the best possible patient care, teaching and continuing various academic activities.
Stalwarts like Dr. E. P. Bharucha , Dr. V. P. Mondkar and Dr. P. U. Shah have headed the department in the past and at present this illustrious tradition has been carried forward by Dr.S.H.Ravat.
The motto of the department has been to give best possible patient Care, Student Education and Clinical Research.
- Out Patient Services
- Indoor Services
- Academic Activities
- Specialty Services
- Research Projects
- Epilepsy Purple Day on 26 Mar 2019
- Epilepsy Awareness Program on World Epilepsy Day on 17 Nov 2019
- Participated in Epilepsy camp at Gondia, Bhandara and Sindudurg Oct – 2019.
Research and Publications:-
The research activity is carried all year round. There are at least three major research projects going on in the department at any given time. The major research projects are generally carried out by the Research Fellows in the department and are supervised by one of the faculty Members. The other research activities are carried out by the resident doctors. All the doctors registered for their post doctoral degree course in Neurology have to complete one research project as a part of their thesis and publish at least two papers in an Indexed Journal. The other research work is published as in the annual conferences of Indian Academy of Neurology and Indian epilepsy society and Neurology society of India.
Ongoing National and International Clinical Trials:
- A cross sectional multicentre study to determine the sociodemographic characteristics, clinical profile, and usage pattern of antiepileptic drugs in persons with epilepsy in India.
- A prospective, multicentric, randomized, double blind, placebo controlled phase 2 clinical study to compare the safety and efficacy of PMZ-1620 therapy along with standard supportive care in subjects of mild to moderate
- Alzheimer’s disease.A prospective, multicentre, post marketing surveillance to asses safety and efficacy of Perampanel in Indian patients as an adjunctive treatment in partial onset seizures with or without secondary generalized seizures inn patients with epilepsy aged 12 years or older.
- Study of clinical profile, genetics and therapeutics of congenital myasthenic syndrome in Indian population G. Panandikar, S. Ravat ,Journal of Neurological sciences doi:10.1016/j.jns.2019.10.283
- Gas geyser syndrome : Preventable emerging toxic encephalopathy in developing countries , R.Ansari , Journal of Neurological Sciences , doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2019.10.1083
- Desai K, Walzade P, Ravat SH, Agarwal PA. Adult-onset isolated hemichorea revealing iatrogenic hypoparathyroidism and bilateral basal ganglia calcification. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2019;22:496-9.
- Cure for myasthenia gravis: A far fetched reality? Panandikar, S. Ravat, Journal of Neurological sciences doi:10.1016/j.jns.2019.10.1261
Awards & Honors
- Dr.Karan Desai scored highest marks in DM exam in summer session 2019 across all branches with gold medal.
- Dr. Shruti Agrawal stood third in regional level at TYSA.
- Best resident paper award at annual BNA April 2019.
- Best resident paper award at monthly BNA meeting Feb 2019
- International observer in 2019 : Nicholas Paleologus from University of Pennsylvania ,
New York , Research fellow in Biological basis of behaviour .
Intake for current year
- Two students per year for DM Neurology.
- Two posts per year for Epilepsy Fellowship (Post-Doctoral)
- 5 students per year for B.Sc. Paramedical Technology
- Library – Dept. library holds 250 books.
- Every Saturday Lectures Conducted for OT/PT students.
- Conducted CME in Cognitive Neurology under IAN initative
- New VEEG machine and cortical stimulator purchased through BMC (Cost Rs.30,00,000/-)
- Planning to start for Vagal Nerve Stimulation for Epilepsy Patients.
- Planned for Stroke Ward.
- Plan to start Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s patients.
39,SBI ward, 11th Floor New Bldg,Neurology Dept.
Seth GSMC & KEM Hospital,
Acharya Dhonde Marg,
News & Updates