Department of Ophthalmology
The department of Ophthalmology was founded in 1926. It was jointly headed by Dr Ratnakar and Dr G.T.Mody. There is an outpatients’ section on all days of the week and surgeries are performed in operation theatre on all days.This department has a special ward for keratoplasty pateints. The department provides complete eye care in the form of various ophthalmic procedurs like contact lens, intraocular lens implantation, keratoplasty,flourocien angiography and vitreo-retinal surgery. There are various diagnostic facilties like ultrasound, slit lamp, perimetry,and fundus camera for outpatients and those referred for this specialized services.
There is a well established eye bank with facilities for enucleation, storage and use of eyeballs .This department is a well known centre for diseases of posterior segment of the eye. Photocoagultaion is done with double frquency YAG.
Inauguration of State-Of-The-Art Equipment at the King Edward Memorial Hospital Department of Ophthalmology
In the Department of Ophthalmology, KEM Hospital, Inauguration of State of the art equipment were launched thanks toRotary club of Worli, Rotarian MrTaizoonKhorakiwala,and Rotary Club international, who helped acquiregracious donations of the Rotary club.The inauguration was convened with the cutting of the ribbon and lighting of the lamp by Respected Dean of KEM Hospital Dr. Hemant Deshmukh, District Governor Rotarian SunnilMehra, past District GovernerHarjit Singh Talwar, President of Rotary Club NimeshSanghrajka, Rotarian Jayant Nairi and Professor & Head of the Department of Ophthalmology Dr. Sheela Kerkar.
The following equipment was acquired in the Department-
- Corneal Topographer with Aberrometer. KEM is the first BMC hospital to acquire this machine.
- Corneal collagen cross-linking machine
- Octopus visual field analyzer that localizes visual field defects along the nerve fibers to the optic disc is to be used for diagnosing and management of glaucoma as well as to aid Neurology and Neurosurgical patients via the detection in optic nerve pathologies
- Operating microscope
- Recording Device
The goal of the KEM Department of Ophthalmology is to eliminate and treat preventable blindness and visual impairment and with the extraordinary team of contributors, donors, doctors, staff and well-wishers, it is on the path towards reaching this very worthy and noble goal.
- Dr Priyarthi Pradhan – Second runner up of the Golden hands award by the Maharashtra Ophthalmological Society, October 2018
- Dr Samruddhi Dani – Winning team at the Teachers of Tomorrow PG competition at Maharashtra Ophthalmological Society Conference, October 2018
- Nehal Mehta- first prize in post graduate case presentation in PG fest, woman’s ophthalmology conference on 4/5/2019.
- Dr. Samruddhi Dani- Dr. V. H. Majumdar award for standing 1st in MS Ophthalmology, Seth GSMC and KEM Hospital, 22/1/2020
- CMEs conducted in department of ophthalmology
- 7 September 2019- posterior uveitis CME by Dr.ParitoshKamdar.
- 31 August 2019- diabetic retinopathy CME by Dr.ParitoshKamdar
- 18 may 2019- pseudophakic cystoid macular edema CME by Dr.ParitoshKamdar
|Sr. No.||Name of the Faculty||Designation|
|1||Dr. Sheela Kerkar||Professor and Head of the Department|
|2||Dr.Kokila Kamath||Associate (ad hoc) professor and head of unit|
|3||Dr. Amrita Ajani||Assistant Professor|
|3||Dr. Ashiyana Nariani||Assistant Professor|
Facilities, Equipments & Special services
In the outpatients department various procedures are performd like trial glasses, retinocsopy, slit lamp examination, indirect ophtlalmoscopy, direct ophthlamoscopy, perimetry ,keratometry, tonometry, synaptophore, YAG laser, retinal photo coagulation etc.
In the operation theatrevarious anterior and posterior segment surgeries are performed everyday.
There is well equipped library in the dept for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Clinics
- Meetings and Conferences
- School Clinic
- Eye Camps
There have been about 45 publications in the last 10 years, from the department.
List of publications in department of ophthalmology in this year-
- Rao E, Mishra M, Kerkar S, Ahuja A. Correlation of Optical Coherence Tomographic Findings with Clinical Features in High Myopia. International Journal of Recent Surgical and Medical Sciences. 2019 Jan;5(01):019-25.
- Mishra M, Kerkar SP, Dani S, Pradhan P, Gandhi B, Desai SS. Retinitis sclopetaria in blast injury. Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology and Research. 2019 May 1;7(2):81.
- “A study of clinical profile, management and outcomes of thermal ocular injuries at a tertiary care institute”, international journal of scientific research, 2019
- Kerkar SP, Ahuja AA, Pawar N, Nikam SC. To Compare the Surgically Induced Astigmatism in Small Incision Cataract Surgery: Superior Tunnel Incision versus Temporal Clear Corneal Incision.
- Dr. Nitin Pawar, Study of visual outcomes in ocular trauma in pediatric age group Applied for publication in Oman journal of ophthalmology
- Bilateral Neurotrophic keratitis in a case of hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy type VIII- Dr.Samruddhi Dani, AIOS
- Filamentary Keratitis- Longitudinal Study of 19 eyes over one year at a Tertiary Care Centre-Dr.Priyarthi Pradhan, AIOS
- STUDY COMPARING GANGLION CELL LAYER IN PATIENTS NON DIABETES,DIABETICS WITHOUT DR, DIABETICS WITH DR- Dr.ApurvaThombre, AIOS.
POSTGRADUATE COURSES OFFERED:
- M.S. Ophhtalmology – 3year residency programme
- D.O. – 2 Year Residency programme
INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
There are two units
- Unit II
OPD Tue/Thus. / SaturdayDr. S.I.Sahdev – (Prof. & Head of Unit )
Dr. A.A.Ajani (Assistant Professor)
- Unit I
OPD Monday/ Wednesday/ FridayDr. A.S.Ahuja (Prof. & Head)
Dr. S. P. Kerkar (Associate Professor)
Dr.K.G.Kamath (Associate Professor)
- Our OPD timings are:
8.30 a.m. TO 2.00 p.m.
Specialty OPD Days
|Specialty||Days||Name of Consultant|
|Oculoplasty||Tuesday||Dr. Smita Menon|
|Retina||Thursday||Dr. Rumi Jehangir|
|Tuesday, Friday||Dr. Vikram Nakhate|
|Thursday||Dr. Aniruddh Mahendrakar|
|Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus||Wednesday, Thursday||Dr. Pooja Ghalla|
|Glaucoma||Thursday, Saturday||Dr. Arjun Gokani|