Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery
Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery.
The Department of ENT in KEM Hospital is one of the oldest amongst all the ENT departments in the Municipal Corporation Hospitals. It was started by Dr. T.O. Shah who was in fact a general surgeon. This department has set a trend for microsurgical operations of the ear and related fields. It has trained more than 1000 ENT specialists from who now practice in India and abroad in teaching different otological surgeries. Ours is the only department which is conducting a microsurgical ear and endoscopic sinus surgery workshops for more than 2 decades consecutively which is a great achievement for the institution in channelizing the modern concepts of ear surgery and endoscopic sinus surgery to the remotest parts of India. This department is at present being headed by Dr. Hetal Marfatia. We offer services in multiple sub specialties of ENT and train our students to become adept in diagnosis and treatment of these diseases.
Sections Units Branches
|Sr no||Name of faculty||Designation||Email id|
|1||Dr Hetal Marfatia||Prof & HODemail@example.com|
|2||Dr Nilam Sathe||Asso Prof & HOUfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3||Dr Shashikant Mhashal||Asst Prof|
|4||Dr Swapna Patil||Asst Profemail@example.com|
|5||Dr Dhanashree Chiplunkar||Asst Proffirstname.lastname@example.org|
|6||Dr Asmita Madhavi||Asst Profemail@example.com|
Facilities, Equipments & Special services
- Endoscopic examination of ear nose and larynx
- Audiology including pure tone Audiometry.
- Impedance Audiometry.
- Speech Therapy.
- Investigations for vertigo.
- CCT for demonstration different types of operations.
- Video library.
- Cadaveric dissection laboratory.
- 3 Zeiss Vario 700 Microscope with dedicated video recording and computer systems and attached HD Endovue Monitors.
- Stryker HD camera and xenon light source
- Stryker Micro debrider instrument
- Medtronic Optical Navigation System
- Coblator system
- Lumenis Acublade Laser system
- Atmos Stroboscope with Telescope.
- Olympus flexible bronchoscope (Adult and Paediatric) with light source.
- 3 Standard definition cameras for endoscopic evaluation.
- Storz surgical instruments
- Ventilating Bronchoscopes and oesophagoscopes
- Storz telescope for visualization of primary and secondary bronchi
- Myringotomy and grommet insertion
- Tympanic neurectomy
- Cortical Mastoidectomy
- Modified Radical Mastoidectomy
- Posterior Tympanotomy
- Radical mastoidectomy with blind sac closure
- Surgery for glomus tympanicum and jugulare
- CSF otorrhoea repair
- Facial nerve decompression
- Treatment of complications of unsafe CSOM including intra and extra cranial abscess, labyrinthine fistula repair and others.
Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Limited disease
- Extensive disease/ Pansinusits
- Nasal polyposis
- Benign tumors of the nose
- Nasal and Paranasal malignancy
- CSF leak repairs
- Anterior and Middle skull base approach
- Optic Nerve Decompression
- Orbital Decompression
- Juvenile Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma
- Endoscopic Dacrocystorhinostomy (DCR)
- Micro Laryngoscopy for benign laryngeal conditions such as vocal cord cysts, polyps
- Laser excision for laryngeal tumors
- Recurrent respiratory paplliomatosis
- Total laryngectomy
- Surgeries for tracheal stenosis
Head and Neck
- Tumors of the lip, buccal mucosa, alveolus, floor of mouth, tongue, Larynx, paranasal sinuses, temporal bone
- Benign neck swellings including schwannomas, brachial cysts, submandibular gland, parotid gland
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Cochlear implant programme: We have the cochlear implant programme functioning in KEM Hospital since 2007-2008 and since then we have done over 300 implants and have 100 patients in the waiting list.
- BAHA Programme: Children coming with external, middle and deformities with deficits in conductive hearing are counseled and hearing rehabilitation is done with BAHA.
- “hEAR for All” club is an initiative by our department for children born wih congenital anomaly of external ear viz. Microtia and Anotia
- Airway cases: Under the guidance of Prof. Monnier from Laussane, Switzerland, we have world class standards for assessment and surgery for airway patients.
- Head and Neck surgeries: We share the heavy load of head and neck oncology cases with other cancer hospitals to help patients receive early treatment and clearance of disease.
- Cadaver dissection workshop for temporal bone dissection and lateral skull base
- Cadaver dissection workshops for Endoscopic sinus surgery and anterior skull base.
- Cosmetic Surgeries: We provide services for rhinoplasty for cosmetic and functional correction of nasal diseases.
OPD Timings: 08.30 am- 12.30 am:
- Dr Nilam Sathe unit- Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Dr Hetal Marfatia unit- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Details of CME,conferences , programs academic events conducted by Dept of ENT
Symposiums and lectures held by
- Dr Hetal Marfatia. Prof and HOD
- Dr Nilam Sathe . Assoc Prof
- Dr Arpit Sharma . Asst Prof
- Dr Swapna Patil. Asst prof
- Dr Dhanashree Chiplunkar . Asst Prof
- Dr Asmita Madhavi . Asst prof
- Daily clinics for PG Students
- Weekly seminars for PG students
- Grand rounds for PG students
- Clinics for PG students held at Prince Aly Khan Hospital and AOI west branch
- Theory lectures for UG, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Students
- Practical clinics and exams for UG students
Research publication during last year
Dr. Hetal Marfatia – Professor & HOD
- Hetal Marfatia, Keya Shah, Ankur Pareek, Chandrani Chatterjee, Pankaj Goyal (2019) case study: Cochlear Implantation in cochlear otospongiosis, Cochlear implants International journal, DOI: 10.1080/14670100.2019.1678894.
- Hetal Marfatia, Kartik Parelkar, Adhara Chakraborty, Shampa Mishra. Paediatric Meningoencephaloceles Endoscopic Endonasal Repair : Our Experience , Allergy & Rhinology, 2018, 9, 1-6
- Hetal Marfatia, Ratnapriya, Nilam U. Sathe, Sheetal Shelke, Measurement of bone thickness in BAHA: How we do it, International Journal Research scientific and research publications, April 2018, issue 8, Vol.4:3, 150-3153 (ISSN 2250-3153).
- Karthik Parelkar, Vandana Thorawade, Hetal Marfatia, Devika Shere, Endoscopic cartilage tympanoplasty: Full thickness and partial thickness tragal graft, Brazilian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, Dec 2018.
Dr. Nilam Sathe – Associate Professor & HOU
- Nilam U. Sathe, Sheetal Shelke, Ankur Pareek, Kamini Chavan, Schwannomas of ear, nose, throat and neck – Our experience , [STD] Surgical Techniques Development, ITALY, vol.9, 2019,7550(1-6)
- Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Dr. Bhavna Narang, Dr. Swapna Patil, Dr. Pravin Misal, Rhinoplasty by Open or closed approach– Our Experience, IP Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Allied Science, January-March, 2019;2(1): 16-21 18
- Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Dr. Bhavana Narang, Dr. Kamini Chavan, Dr. Dhanashree Chiplunkar, An innovative Method of Ossiculoplasty, International Journal of Development Research, August 2019 Vol.9, issue 8, 29073-29075
- Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Dr. Priyank Talathi, Dr. Anjali Taku, Dr. Muniram Pawara, A Unique Case Report of Endoscopic Vallecular Cyst excision by use of a Co-ablator Dr. Swapna Patil, International Journal Development Research, July 2019, Vol.9, issue 8, 29312-29314
- Dr. Nilam Sathe, Dr. Dhanashree Chiplunkar, Dr. Pravin Misal, Dr. Swapnal Sawarkar, Congenital midline nasal dermoid sinus cyst- our experience, IP Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Allied Science, July-September 2019;2(3):68-73
- Dr. Nilam Sathe, Dr. Dhanashree Chiplunkar, Dr. Rakhi Thakkar, Dr. Anjali Taku, Coblation a new tool in management of nasopharyngeal rhabdomyosarcoma, International Journal of current Research, September, 2019, Vol. 11, Issue, 09, 7202-7204,
- Dr. Shampa Mishra, Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Dr. Kamini Chavan, Dr. Pravin Misal, a prospective comparative study of fine needle Research aspiration cytology and histopathology in thyroid disorders, British Journal of Medical Research, September- Octber2019, Vo3, issue 5, 1121-1145 (ISSN 2456-9739)
- Dr. Nilam Sathe, Dr. Swapna Patil, Dr. Kamini Chavan, Dr. Anup Srinivas, spontaneous CSF Rhinorrhoea: Are we missing out? British Journal of Medical Research, September-October2019, Vo3, issue 5, 1146-1155 (ISSN 2456-9739)
- Dr. Nilam Sathe, Dr. Swapnal, Sawarkar, Dr. Muniram Pawara, Dr. Saad Ahmed, INTERESTING FOREIGN BODIES IN EAR, NOSE, THROAT: OUR EXPERIENCE, British Journal of Medical Research, September-October2019, Vo3, issue 5, 1156-1168 (ISSN 2456-9739)
- Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Dr. Shampa Mishra, Dr. Swapnal Sawarkar and Dr. Swapna Patil, PRIMARY EXTERNAL AUDITORY CANAL CHOLESTEATOMA –OUR EXPERIENCE International Journal of Current Research Vol. 11, Issue, 09, pp.7397-7399, September, 2019
- Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Dr. Avinash Malekar, Dr. Anup Shrinivas, Dr. Muniram Pawara, Can Megalith of Warton’s duct be treated in outpatient department? A rare case International Journal of Development Research, November 2019, Vo.9, issue 11, 31235-31237 (ISSN: 2230-9926)
- Dr. Nilam U. Sathe, Suraj Nair, Dr. Kamini Chavan, Dr. Swapna Patil, ENDOLYMPHATIC SAC TUMORS’: A SURGICAL DILEMMA – TO OPERATE OR NOT? International Journal of Development Research, November 2019, Vol.9, Issue 11, 31243-31247, (ISSN: 2230-9926)
- Fellowship programme in Otology and FESS
- Invited international Speaker Dr Naishadh Patil for T-O Shah Oration, April 2019
- Jointly organized 13th Phonosurgery workshop Live and Cadaveric dissection workshop with Bombay hospital in May 2019
- Jointly organized Endoskull base Live and Cadaveric dissection workshop with Bombay hospital in June 2019
- Organized Airway surgical workshop under Prof Phillipe Monnier in July 2019
- Conducted FESS Live and Cadaveric dissection workshop in August 2019 with 4 MMC credit hours
- Organized 17th Annual CIGICON ’19 with Cadaveric dissection workshop in October 2019 with 4 MMC credit hours
- Organized Temporal bone dissection Workshop in November 2019
Achievements and awards by Students or faculty
- Dr Swapna Patil (Asst Prof)- Cochlear implant in SSD CIGICON 2019
- Dr Rutvi Patel(JR III)-
- Torrent young scholar award- zonal level
- 2nd prize paper presentation. AOI, Mumbai
- ENT Quiz AOI Mumbai 2nd prize
- Dr Abhishek Menon(JR III)- Torrent young scholar award- zonal level
- Dr Arunima V(SR)- MV Kirtane excellence award 2019
- Dr. Ashwathy K.P (SR)- 1st prize in paper presentation IOW 2019
- 1st prize in quiz CIGICON 2019- Dr Asmita Madhavi (Asst Prof), Dr Arunima V(SR), Dr Chandrani Chatterjee(SR)
- Dr.Pankaj G-2nd prize in video- MENTCON 2019
- Dr Devina Chitranshi (JR III)- 2nd prize in paper presentation – MENTCON 2019
- Dr Vani Krishana Gupta(SR)-2nd prize in e-poster, Phonosurgery 2019
- Dr Kamini Chavan(SR)- Geeta Rao Memorial prize 2019
- Dr Kamini Chavan(SR)- 2nd prize, Thane branch silver jubilee consultant award paper- MENTCON 2019
- Thrice weekly lectures for UG students
- Daily clinics for UG students
- Daily Bedside clinics for PG students
- Intraoperative teaching of PG students
- Weekly seminars for PG students
- End post, terminal and prelim exams for UG students
- Term exams for PG students.
Short term courses conducted by department
- MUHS 1 year Fellowship programme in Otology and FESS
- Organized Temporal bone dissection Workshop in October and November 2019
- 5 residents per year for three years residency in the department of ENT with a rotation in Tata Memorial Hospital for 3 months.
- Weekly clinics are arranged for students.
- PG activity is organized from Monday to Friday for discussion of difficult cases
- Faculty takes a keen interest in every student
- Bed side clinics by senior faculty
- Grand rounds by faculty weekly.
- 3-4 Observers throughout the year for various otologic, endoscopic nasal, laryngeal and head and neck surgeries.
E.N.T. Department, 1st floor, K.E.M. Hospital bldg.
Dr. Hetal Marfatia
Professor and Head of Department