In 1959, Diabetes clinic was started by Dr. J C Patel and Dr. M K Dhirwani (Hon. Asstt. Physician). In 1962, Endocrinology Clinic was started by Prof P. Raghavan and Dr. S D Bhandarkar (Hon. Asstt. Physician). Dr. S D Bhandarkar also started looking after the Thyroid clinic which was initiated by Dr. Satoskar. In 1971, 12 indoor beds were allotted for diabetes and endocrinology services.
In 1973, Dr. Bhandarkar was given charge of both the Endocrinology and Diabetes clinics after the untimely demise of Dr. Dhirwani. In 1979, the Diabetes and Endocrinology clinics were combined into one “Division of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders”. In 1979, “Puberty and Growth Clinic” was added to the activities of the Department. In 1980, the Division was given 12 more beds, making a total to 24 beds. In 1981, the Division was recognized provisionally by the National Board of Examinations to enroll post-graduate students for MNAMS (Endocrinology). In 1983, the division was recognized by the University of Bombay to enroll students for DM (Endocrinology). The Division of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders was re-designated as the Department of Endocrinology. In 1989 radioimmuno hormone assay laboratory was started with the financial support of the Bai Vijkorbai Mayaram Khakhar Foundtion Trust.
In 1991, Dr. Padma S Menon took over the department as Prof. and Head of Department. Under her guidance, not only patient care, also the post graduate training and clinical data capturing improved over time. She upgraded the lab machinery to automated chemiluminescent assays. Pituitary tumor management was streamlined, by regular meetings with neurosurgeons. Research (academic/drug) trial set up was established. In 2001 DXA scanner for bone mineral density measurement was installed.
In 2004, Dr. Nalini S Shah took over the department as Prof. and Head of Department. Pediatric Endocrinology services were added and we have pan India referrals for pediatric endocrine disorders. Our department is unique, where both pediatric and adult endocrinology is catered too. In 2007 DM (Endocrinology) course got MCI recognition. In 2007 Molecular endocrinology laboratory was established for conducting research on genetic aspects of Endocrine disorders. For these research projects department has been awarded DBT/DST grants. She further upgraded the lab machinery by adding fully automated high output chemiluminescene machine, and HbA1c Analyzer. Patient care and post graduate training was furthered with interdepartmental meeting (Adrenal, Pituitary, Thyroid, DSD, and H&N), inter-hospital endocrine meets (local/national). Our original research work publications (n= 140), have given internationally recognition to the department. As the result of which department was chosen as the first international center by the US Endocrine Society, for Ambassador Exchange programmein 2013.
|Sr. No||Full Name of Empolyee||Designation||Joining Date|
|1.||Dr. Tushar R. Bandgar||Professor & Head||31.12.2005|
|2.||Dr. Anurag R. Lila||Additional Professor||06.01.2020|
|3.||Dr. Virendra Patil||Associate Professor||09.12.2020|
|4.||Dr. Saba Memon||Assistant Professor (Contract)||17.05.2021|
|4.||Dr. Manjiri Karlekar||Assistant Professor (Contract)||11.10.2021|
Non Teaching Staff:
|1||Mrs. Priyanka p Patil||Lab Technician|
|2||Ms. Deepa Nachankar||Dietician|
|3||Ms.Pooja Dabholkar||Lab Technician|
|4||Mrs. Siddhi Raut||Lab Assistant|
|5||Mr. Bhavesh Dhaware||Lab Servant|
|6||Mr. Hukumchand Goyal||Lab Servant|
|7||Ms. Ravina Talgaonkar||Sister|
|1||Dr. Vyankatesh Shivne||Co-Investigator & Clinical research associate|
|2||Dr. Neelam Jaguste||Sr. CRC & QA officer|
|3||Dr. Aparna Kamble||Sr. CRC & QA officer|
|4||Dr. Neeta Doiphode||Sr. CRC & QA officer|
|5||Mr. Prasad Adivarekar||Data Entry Operator|
|6||Ms. Sneha Arya||Jr. Research Officer|
|7||Mrs. Rashmi Iswalkar||Clerical Help|
|8||Mrs. Nandini Todankar||Technical Help II|
|9||MS. Shrutika Vilankar||Cherical Help|
|10||Ms. Samiksha Hegiste||CRC|
|11||Ms. Amruta Jakate||CRC|
|12||Ms. Prerna Vishe||CRC|
|13||Ms. Ankita Rane||Technical Help I|
|14||Mr. Sarthank Karshingkar||Technical Help III|
|Name of the Resident||Designation||Joining Date|
|Dr. Manjunath HD||Sr. Res.3rd Yr DM||03.09.19|
|Dr. Rohit Barnabas||Sr. Res.3rd Yr DM||06.09.19|
|Dr. Sandeep Kumar||Sr. Res.3rd Yr DM||10.09.19|
|Dr. Aditya Phadte||Sr. Res.1st Yr DM||16.12.20|
|Dr. Chethan Y||Sr. Res.1st Yr DM||17.12.20|
|Dr. Anima Sharma||Sr. Res.1st Yr DM||17.12.20|
|Dr. Madhur Maheshwari||Sr. Resident/Registrar||02.08.21|
|Dr. Pratap Kasture||DD 1st Yr||25.01.21|
|Dr. Prithviraj Dhonde||House officer||04.02.21|
|Dr. Srushti Thakrey||House officer||06.10.21|
Bonded Assistant Professor
|Name of the Resident||Joining Date|
|Dr. Chakra Diwakar||28.09.21|
|Dr. Brijesh K||28.09.21|
|Dr. Robin Garg||28.09.21|
|Dr. Vikrant Gosavi||14.10.20|
Working Schedule of Department
|Diabetes OPD and Diabetes Foot Clinic||Monday||8.30 to 10.30
|Diabetes OPD and Diabetes Foot Clinic||Tuesday||8.30 to 10.30
|Thyroid OPD and Obesity Clinic||1.30 to 3.30
|P&G OPD, Endocrine Oncology OPD, And Adrenal Disorder Clinic||Thursday||8.30 to 10.30
|Diabetes OPD(New Patients),Diabetes Foot Clinic, P&G OPD, Endocrine Oncology OPD, And Adrenal Disorder Clinic||Friday||8.30 to 10.30
|Thyroid OPD and Obesity Clinic||1.30 to 3.30
|Diabetes OPD and Diabetes Foot Clinic||Saturday||8.30 to 10.30
Endocrine Oncology OPD Started from year 2019 in our Department.
Peripheral Clinics- New Services Instituted since 2011
- Peripheral linkage services clinics at Cooper Hospital, Bandra Bhabha Hospital and six peripheral dispensaries in MCGM once per week. (Total eight additional peripheral clinics per week through MCGM linkage services.
Hormone Assay Workload from Jan 2017 to Jan 2018
The average OPD attendance patients-visits per year are as follows
|Quantum of Patient Care|
|Indoor admission: (01 January 2020 to 30 November 2020)||Male||Female||M/C||F/C|
|B. Outdoor patient: (01 January 2020 to 30 November 2020)|
|Diseases||New Patients||Old Patients||Total Patients|
|Puberty and Growth Clinic||641||1838||2479|
Department has 30 beds ( 15 for male and 15 for female ) on indoor basis.
The department has an attached Hormone Assay Laboratory where following machine are available
Fully Automated Chemiluminescence Machines- 2
Fully Automated Biochemistry Autoanalyzer- 1
HbA1c analyzer by HPLC method- 1
Following tests are routinely performed in Hormone Assay Lab
- T3, T4, TSH
- FBS and PLBS
- PG Growth Hormone
- IGF 1
- IGF BP3
- Molecular Endocrine Laboratory for research purpose to assess genotype phenotype correlation of various endocrine disorders
- Bone Mineral Densitometry ( DXA Scan)
Clinical Material & Infrastructure – Endocrinology
|Date||Name of the CME||Talk|
|Dr. TusharBandgar||Dr. Anurag Lila||DR. VirendraPatil||Dr. Saba Memon|
|17th January 2021||Endocrinology Symposium for Physicians/GPs||Primary Hyeraldosteronism: Diagnosis and management||Adrenal Cushing: Spectrum across Life span||Adrenal Hypertension: Suspect and Screen||Q and A|
|21st February 2021||Endocrinology Symposium for Paediatricians||Genetics in GHD- Indian experience||Short stature: Pragmatic Approach|
|11th April 2021||Endocrinology Symposium for Physicians||Hypertension: When to suspect underlying endocrine etiology||Hyperthyroidism: Approach and management||Dyslipidemia: Pathophysiology based approach||Obesity: Endocrine underpinnings|
|30th May 2021||Endocrinology Symposium for Paediatricians||Rickets: Looking Beyond the Obvious||Paediatric Cushing||Treatment of hypogonadotrophichypogonadism||Adrenal insufficiency in children|
|25th July 2021||Endocrinology Symposium for Physicians||Hypophosphatemia||Hypocalcemia||Hyponatremia||Hypocalcemia|
- 68Ga-DOTATATE PET/CT of Ectopic Cushing Syndrome Due to Appendicular Carcinoid. Diwaker C, Shah RK, Patil V, Jadhav S, Lila A, Bandgar T, Shah N.Clin Nucl Med. 2019 Sep 12. doi: 10.1097/RLU.0000000000002766. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tumor induced osteomalacia in head and neck region: single center experience and systematic review. Shah R, Lila AR, Jadhav S, Patil VA, Mahajan A, Sonawane S, Thadani P, Dcruz AK, Pai PS, Bal M, Kane S, Shah N, Bandgar TR. Endocr Connect. 2019 Sep 1. pii: EC-19-0341.R1. doi: 10.1530/EC-19-0341. [Epub ahead of print]
- Radiological differentiation of phaeochromocytoma from other malignant adrenal masses: importance of wash-in characteristics on multiphase CECT. Goroshi M, Jadhav SS, Sarathi V, Lila AR, Patil VA, Shah R, Hira P, Sharma R, Goroshi S, Fernandes G, Rojekar A, Dalvi A, Bakshi G, Prakash G, Shah NS, Bandgar TR. Endocr Connect. 2019 Jul 1;8(7):898-905. doi: 10.1530/EC-19-0198.
- Oral Semaglutide and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Husain M, Birkenfeld AL, Donsmark M, Dungan K, Eliaschewitz FG, Franco DR, Jeppesen OK, Lingvay I, Mosenzon O, Pedersen SD, Tack CJ, Thomsen M, Vilsbøll T, Warren ML, Bain SC; PIONEER 6 Investigators.N Engl J Med. 2019 Aug 29;381(9):841-851. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1901118. Epub 2019 Jun 11.
- Corrigendum to ‘A novel gross indel in the growth hormone releasing hormone receptor gene of Indian IGHD patients.’ [Growth Hormone & IGF Research 24 (2014) 227-232]. Kale S, Budyal S, Kasaliwal R, Shivane V, Raghavan V, Lila A, Bandgar T, Shah N.Growth Horm IGF Res. 2019 Apr 29. pii: S1096-6374(19)30021-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ghir.2019.04.001. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- SYMPATHETIC PARAGANGLIOMA: A SINGLE-CENTER EXPERIENCE FROM WESTERN INDIA.Jaiswal SK, Sarathi V, Memon SS, Goroshi M, Jadhav S, Prakash G, Dalvi A, Lila AR, Bandgar T, Shah NS.Endocr Pract. 2019 Mar;25(3):211-219. doi: 10.4158/EP-2018-0480.
- Primary pigmented nodular adrenocortical disease (PPNAD): single centre experience. Memon SS, Thakkar K, Patil V, Jadhav S, Lila AR, Fernandes G, Bandgar TR, Shah NS.J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Apr 24;32(4):391-397. doi: 10.1515/jpem-2018-0413.
- Virilising ovarian tumors: a single center experience. Sehemby MAS, Bansal PAK, Sarathi V, Kolhe A, Kothari K, Jadhav S, Lila AR, Bandgar TR, Shah N. Endocr Connect. 2018 Nov 1. pii: EC-18-0360.R1. doi: 10.1530/EC-18-0360. [Epub ahead of print]
- Coexistent Pituitary Adenoma with Rathke’s Cleft Cyst: A Case Series. Jagtap VS, Lila AR, Sarathi V, Bukan AP, Bandgar TR, Shah NS. J Assoc Physicians India. 2018 Mar;66(3):42-6.
- First Trimester Thyroid Function Tests: Normative Data from Western India. Nambiar VM, Lila AR, Bandgar TR, Shah NS. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Jul-Aug;22(4):574-575. doi: 10.4103/ijem.IJEM_178_18. No abstract available
- Sellar Paraganglioma. Karlekar M, Kumar S, Jadhav S, Lila A, Bandgar T, Shah N. Clin Nucl Med. 2018 Aug;43(8):591-592. doi: 10.1097/RLU.0000000000002157.
- Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma Presenting as Hypervascular Adrenal Metastasis. Goroshi M, Lila AR, Bandgar T, Shah NS.World J Nucl Med. 2018 Jan-Mar;17(1):62-64. doi: 10.4103/wjnm.WJNM_8_17.PMID:
- Genotype phenotype correlation in Asian Indian von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) syndrome patients with pheochromocytoma/paraganglioma. Lomte N, Kumar S, Sarathi V, Pandit R, Goroshi M, Jadhav S, Lila AR, Bandgar T, Shah NS. Fam Cancer. 2018 Jul;17(3):441-449. doi: 10.1007/s10689-017-0058-y.
- Efficacy and safety of once-monthly pasireotide in Cushing’s disease: a 12 month clinical trial. Lacroix A, Gu F, Gallardo W, Pivonello R, Yu Y, Witek P, Boscaro M, Salvatori R, Yamada M, Tauchmanova L, Roughton M, Ravichandran S, Petersenn S, Biller BMK, Newell-Price J; Pasireotide G2304 Study Group. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018 Jan;6(1):17-26. doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30326-1. Epub 2017 Oct 12. Erratum in: Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018 Jan;6(1):e1.
|1||Dr Manjiri Karlekar||Aasam Endo Society 19||Best Oral Paper – First Prize|
|Endo Update 19, Bangalore||Best Oral Paper – First Prize|
|2||Dr. Saba Menon||Aasam Endo Society 19||Best Poster – First Prize|
|3||Dr. Pradeep Indulkar||CID Conference||Distigtion Diabetology|
|4||Dr. Ankita Tiwari||ESIAV Gandhi March 19||Best Thesis|
|5||Dr. Chakra Diwakar||Endo update 19, Bangalore||Best Poster – First Prize|
|6||Dr. Vikrant Gosavi||Endo update 19, Bangalore||Best Poster – Second Prize|
|Sr. No||Name of The Resident||Award|
|1||Dr Saba Samad Memon||Best thesis award in clinical category in ESI – A. V. Gandhi Award for Excellence in Endocrinology held on March2021|
|Second prize in ESI TYSA Endocrinology competitive quiz at Delhi on feb 2020|
|First prize in Endocrinology Hawk Eye – Competitive Quiz Competition at Endocrine Enrichment Program at Kolkata on Feb 2020|
|Dr Sanjay Oak Best Resident Award for excelling in academics, patient care and extramural services in Jan 2020|
|2||Dr. Vikrant Gosavi||3rd Prize in oral paper, Endocrine Enrichment 2020.|
|3||Dr. Robin Garg||3rd prize in oral paper in T-Endocon at Thiruvananthapuram|
|4||Dr Chakra Diwakar||Endocrine enrichment programme: 1st prize in endocrine wise owl competition held online between 12-13 December 2020|
|First prize in poster in T- endocon 2020 in trivandrum|
|Itscon 8-9 th feb 2020 First prize in quiz .|
|1st Prize in Poster Presentation in ENDO Update October 2021|
|5||Dr. Brijesh K||Itscon 8-9 th feb 2020 First prize in quiz .|
|6||Dr Srushti Thakare||2nd prize, TYSA Diabetology,Feb 2021|
|7||Dr. Virendra Patil||1st prize in Oral Presentation in ENDO Update October 2021|
|8||Dr. Aditya Phadte||2nd prize in Oral Presentation in ENDO Update October 2021|
DM (Endocrinology) Course:
There are three registrations (seats) available per year for DM Endocrinology course. This course has been recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI). The process of application/ appointment is common as mentioned under specialty registrations.
Total Passed DM Students till 2021:- 65 Students
Diploma in Diabetes:
At present one seat per year is available for Diploma in Diabetes. The process of application/ appointment is common as mentioned under specialty registrations.
Till date 47 DM Endocrinology students have passed out in these years. In October 2015 recognized DM Endocrinology seats increased from 1 to 3.
Total Passed DD Students till 2021:- 31 Students
PhD and MSc in Applied Biology:
Department is recognized by the university for PhD in Applied Biology. We enroll one student per year on availability. We also enroll MSc in Applied Biology students in our department.
Endocrine Oncology Fellowship:
Endocrine Oncology fellowship of 1 year duration Introduced in the year 2020 with an intake of
- Current Fellows:- 1. Dr. Saba Memon
3. Dr. Vikrant Gosavi
- Molecular Endocrine Laboratory for research purpose to assess genotype phenotype correlation
- Bone Mineral Densitometry ( DXA Scan)
- Library: Number of Books pertaining to Endocrinology 476 in Central Library & 489 in Departmental Library.