GSMC MUHS INTERNATIONAL CHAIR (WMA) BIOETHICS UNIT
Nurturing Ethical values…..
Enriching Medical Education.
“Establishing highest level of ethical and professional standards in health professionals education,practice and research.”
“To inculcate the basic ethical,professional and humanitarian values in medical students right from the first day of training in order to make them not only expert clinicians but also compassionate human beings.”
The ’GSMC-MUHS UNESCO Bioethics Unit’ was formed in the month of August 2015. The solemnisation of the Unit under the MCGM Nodal Bioethics Unit and affiliation with UNESCO, Chair in Bioethics Haifa Australia was on 9th November 2015. The MCGM nodal unit was established at an event held in Topiwala National Medical College auditorium.
Mr Sanjay Deshmukh, Hon. Addl. Municipal Commissioner and Dr SuhasiniNagda , Director (ME& MH) were handed over the UNESCO Charter and writ for the establishment of the MCGM MUHS UNESCO Nodal Centre for Medical and Dental institutions by Professor Russell D’Souza Head, Asia Pacific Bioethics Program of UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Haifa.Dr AvinashSupe , Dean Seth G S Medical College received the writ for GSMC MUHS UNESCO Bioethics Unit.
The inauguration event was attended by Dr.ArunJamkar Hon Vice Chancellor MUHS, Dr.ShekharRajderkar, Pro Vice Chancellor MUHS, Dr Susan Vize Regional UNESCO Advisor, Bangkok. Deans of MCGM run Medical colleges: Dr AvinashSupe, Dr Ramesh Bharmal, Dr Suleman Merchant and Dr. Ramesh Chaturvedi graced the programme with their presence.
The First students wing was formed from winners of the essay competition in bioethics (14th October 2015) .
The Formal Students wing was formed on 21st January 2016 – “Formation day of student wings”
The objective of Bioethics Unit is to integrate the MUHS approved UNESCO Bioethics curriculum in the undergraduate and postgraduate students education and to train the faculty in effective implementation of the same.
- To introduce and deliver bioethics and professionalism training in undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum.
- To prepare an updated and modern curriculum, reflecting the need for integration of ethics during the training period and for its effective implementation in clinical practice.
- To increase interest and respect to values involved in health care delivery and raising awareness for competing interests. To introduce various non-medical facets of medicine: sociology, economics, and public administration to students.
- To add new chapters to present curriculum that will relate to new dilemmas, accommodating medical, technological and scientific progress.
- To create training programs for teachers and instructors of ethics in medical institution.
To initiate, collaborate, facilitate and participate research related to bioethics
Dr. Santosh Salagre, Dr, PadmajaMarathe and Dr. Anjali Telang have received formal training on bioethics at MUHS in the form of the 3T (Train-Teach-Transfer) training workshop organised in May 2015. Dr.Salagre&Dr.Marathe additionally received ETTC (Ethics Teachers Training Course) in November 2015 at MUHS.
Steering Commitee of GSMC-MUHS INTERNATIONAL CHAIR (WMA) Bioethics Unit – (GMUBioethics Unit)
|2||Dr Padmaja Mavani||Head Bioethics Unit & Editor “Inarch”||Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|3||Dr Yashashri Shetty||Head, Steering Committee||Pharmacology &Therapeutics|
|4||Dr Usha Kasar||Secretary||Occupational Therapy|
|5||Dr Jyotsna Thosar||Treasurer||Physiotherapy|
|6||Dr Kanchan Kothari||Website coordinator||Pathology|
|7||Dr Santosh Salagre||Member||Medicine|
|8||Dr Padmaja Marathe||Member||Pharmacology &Therapeutics|
|9||Dr Varsha Kulkarni||Member||General Surgery|
|10||Dr Anjali Telang||Member||Anatomy|
|11||Mrs. Mariya Jiandani||Member||Physiotherapy|
|12||Dr Venkatesh Rathod||Member||Physiology|
|13||Dr Praveen Iyer||Member||Anatomy|
|14||Dr. Priyanka Prasad||Member||Microbiology|
|15||Dr Deepika Sadawarte||Member||Community Medicine|
|16||Dr Satyaprakash Rane||Member||Biochemistry|
|17||Sister Tutor Vaishali Chavan||Member||Nursing|
|18||Sister Tutor Aarya Deshmukh||Member||Nursing|
|19||Brother Tutor Ravindra Markad||Member||Nursing|
Members of Students Wing:
List of student wing members 2022
|Sr No||Name of the Student||Course||Year|
|4||Paras Arora||MBBS||Third Year|
|5||Vaibhavi Tapade||MBBS||Third Year|
|6||Vaishnavi Miskin||MBBS||Third Year|
|7||Alisha Sayyad||MBBS||Third Year|
|8||Dikshant Degloorkar||MBBS||First Year|
|9||Mansi Goud||MBBS||First Year|
|10||Vineet Chandak||MBBS||First Year|
|11||Samridhhi Narayan||MBBS||First Year|
|12||Dheer Porwal||MBBS||First Year|
|13||Mrinmayi Sanap||Occupational Therapy||Intern|
|14||Shreya Shah||Occupational Therapy||Intern|
|15||Tina Parker||Occupational Therapy||Intern|
|16||Sakshi Palsambkar||Occupational Therapy||Final Year|
|17||Kinjal Lapasiya||Physiotherapy||Final Year|
|18||Anusha Kapileshwar||Physiotherapy||Final Year|
|19||Yashvi Gogri||Physiotherapy||Third year|
|20||Anushree Somanathan||Physiotherapy||Second Year|
|21||Akash Joshi||Physiotherapy||Second Year|
|22||Rutuja Bhoir||Nursing||Second Year|
|23||Priyanka Bunde||Nursing||Second Year|
|24||Sampada Sawant||Nursing||Second Year|
|25||Pooja Hajare||Nursing||Second Year|
|26||Neha Yadav||Nursing||Second Year|
|27||Swapnali Hile||Nursing||Second Year|
|28||Santoshi Vanve||Nursing||First Year|
|29||Poonam Kadam||Nursing||First Year|
Overview of International seminar held on 23rd November 2020
International seminar held on 23rd November 2020
- 2nd October 2015: Introductory workshop on Bioethics for Ist MBBS & Physiotherapy Students.
- 5th December 2015: ‘Bioethics Grand Rounds’ for postgraduate students
- 14th Dec 2015 :Orientation workshop for the nursing students
- Report of Orientation program for nursing students in Bioethics
- 10th February 2016:Orientation Workshop for Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy students in Bioethics
- 29th Feb 2016:Orientation of interns to principles of bioethics
- 2nd March 2016: Module 2 bioethics curriculum for first MBBS students
- 3 rd August 2016 : Orientation of Interns on Bioethical Principles
- 13thDecember 2016 : Report of the Module 1 of Bioethics curriculum for first year MBBS, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy students.
- 3rd February 2017 : Report of the Module 2 of Bioethics session for first year MBBS students.
- 3rd March 2017 : “Orientation Session on Bioethics” for Interns of November 2016.
- Report of 3T IBHSc Workshop 2017
- 10th January 2018 FIRST YEAR BIOETHICS EVENT REPORT
- 16th March 2018 Final Second year Bioethics Event Report.
- 12th July 2018 Bioethics Lecture for III MBBS Students .</span
- 13th October 2018 1st Module for 1st year MBBS ,OT & PT Students
- Report of Bioethics Workshop GSMC -MUHS UNESCO Bioethics Unit (UNESCO chair in Haifa) held on March 16, 2018
- Bioethics teaching Module I & II for First year UG Students of Occupational therapy and physiotherapy
- Report of Second Bioethics Module for first MBBS, FYBPTH and FYBOTH held on 11th March 2019
- Report of First year nursing Orientation Workshop 25022019
- Report of ‘Foundation Course for First MBBS 2019-20 Batch’ Aug 2019
- 4th Feb 2016-Guest lecture –Ethics in medical Research:
- 16th Sept 2016 : Ebate- The Ethical Debate
- 19th September 2016 : Guest Lecture “Doctors without Borders”
- Bioethics Unit Events – Sep 2016
- 27th ,28th Feb & 1st March 2017 : 3T IBHSc Workshop for Municiple Medical College Teachers Training in Bio Ethics.
Bulletin of GSMC MUHS INTERNATIONAL CHAIR (WMA) Bioethics Unit
Facilities & Services:
- Resource Library to teach and explore bioethics in health care services.
- Training workshops in bioethics for teachers and students of health profession education
- Communication skills Workshops
- Faculty training through Teach, Train and Transfer (3T)
- Ethics Teachers Training Programme
- Horizontal and vertical integration of bioethics education in the curriculum
- Strengthening of activities of the Unit through Student’s Wing- A skit/ drama on Bioethics by students, movie discussions
- Bioethics grand rounds with Medicine , Pediatrics and Obstetrics &Gynecology PG students and faculty
- Research projects on Bioethics – Members and Students
- Bioethics conferences and national and international programmes of students wings
- Preparing Modules for Postgraduate Students.
- Create a Resource bank.
- “Writing, Reading and Listening Workshop” to enhance these skills in students to make them more empathetic towards patients .
News & Updates :
- Patient Safety
- Ebate- The Ethical Debate
- 3T IBHSc Workshop for Municiple Medical College Teachers Training in Bio Ethics
27th ,28th Feb & 1st March.
World Bioethics Day 2016
World Bioethics Day 2017
World Bioethics Day 2018
World Bioethics Day 2019
World Bioethics Day 2020
World Bioethics Day 2022
World Bioethics day 2022 programs
Interns Orientation Program: 27th October 2021
Vaccine hesitancy workshop for UG, PG students and Faculty
- Symposium Gender Identity
- Symposium Gender Identity 30th June 2021
- World Bioethics Day celebrations 2021
Faculty sensitization program for Bharati Vidyapeeth (DU) 28 and 29 May 2021
Bioethics Photography Competition
Jigyasa: Questioning ahe ethics of Covid-19
- Application Form Students’ Wing
- Training Programmes in bioethics
Opportunities to conduct events under Students wing
The GSMC bioethics unit looks forward to undertaking research projects for students and faculty